- ANZ traces its origins to the Bank of Australasia, which opened its first office in Sydney in 1835. The bank established a Melbourne office in 1838, where ANZ's world headquarters is located today at 833 Collins Street, Melbourne.
- ANZ is a publicly listed company, and was incorporated on 14 July 1977 in Australia. Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited is the main holding and operating company for the Group and our registered office is ANZ Centre, Level 9, 833 Collins Street, Docklands, Victoria, Australia.
- We are one of the five largest listed companies in Australia and the number one bank in New Zealand.
- We have assets of AU$914.9 billion (as at 30 September 2016).
- We operate in more than 34 markets across Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Pacific, Europe, America and the Middle East including our technology and operations centre in Bengaluru, India.
- We have over 545,000 shareholders (excludes employees whose only ANZ shares are held in trust under ANZ Employee share schemes).
- ANZ shares and related securities are listed on the Australian and New Zealand exchanges.
Countries and markets in which ANZ operates
Our approach to corporate sustainability
Sustainable Development – Integrating social and environmental considerations into our business decisions, products and services to help our customers achieve their sustainability ambitions and deliver long term value for all our stakeholders.
- Diversity & Inclusion - Building the most diverse and inclusive workforce of any major bank in our region to help us innovate, identify new markets, connect with customers and make better, more informed decisions for our business.
Financial Inclusion & Capability - Building the financial capability of people across our region to promote financial inclusion and progression of individuals and communities.
Our 'License to Operate' activities include commitments to ensuring that ANZ’s customers, people and suppliers, and the communities and environment in which it operates, are treated in a manner befitting a responsible corporate citizen.
- We have around 10 million customers worldwide.
- Our focus is on improving customer experience and building trust – offering our customers the products and services they need, and making their interactions with us easy, fair and secure.
- With operations in Australia, New Zealand, and the Asia Pacific region, we are able to offer our customers connectivity across international markets, as well as local knowledge and expertise.
- We employ more than 50,000 people around the world.
- We have robust policies in place to provide clear guidance to our employees on what is expected of them, helping to guide the decisions and actions they take on behalf of ANZ.
- We recognise the importance of understanding and managing the social impacts of our business on local communities.
- Our stakeholders expect us to act responsibly and ethically and we engage regularly with them in order to align our business activities with community expectations.
- Our community contribution incorporates a broad range of activities, including local employment, use of local suppliers, direct economic contribution through payment of taxes, programs to build money management skills and savings, and employee contributions through volunteering and workplace giving.
- Our stakeholders expect us to minimise our environmental risks and the active management of environmental impacts is fundamental to achieving a social licence to operate.
- Our approach is to develop solutions that reduce both environmental impacts and costs. We seek environmental initiatives that make sense to our customers, our employees, and to the bottom line.
Each year we publish a Corporate Sustainability Review which outlines our most material economic, social and environmental risks and opportunities and our sustainability performance.