ANZ has a proud heritage of more than 180 years.
We operate in 34 markets globally with representation in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Pacific, Europe, America and the Middle East.
ANZ is among the top 4 banks in Australia, the largest banking group in New Zealand and Pacific, and among the top 50 banks in the world.
ANZ world headquarters is located in Melbourne. It first opened as the Bank of Australasia in Sydney in 1835 and in Melbourne from 1838 and our history involves many different banks.
- Announced management changes and strategic priorities to create a simpler, better capitalised bank that is more focused, more innovative and more values-based to better meet the needs of customers
- Launched ANZ mobile payments app giving customers the ability to tap their phone for purchases and cash withdrawals
- First major Australian bank to offer Android Pay in Australia (contactless payments via smart phone Android devices)
- First major Australian bank to offer Apple Pay in Australia (contactless payments via Apple iphone and Apple Watch)
- Receives six awards at Cannes Lions for campaigns supporting diversity and inclusion (awards for ANZ’s Equal Future initiatives and GAYNZ campaign).
- Named CANSTAR’s Bank of the Year – Agribusiness 2016
- Established collaboration with Honcho by Business Switch, an online platform offering customers the opportunity to set up their small business in one day, along with tools to help their business grow
- Launched new ANZ Your World, Your Way marketing campaign
- Signed MoU with the Australian Government to support sustainable development in the Pacific
- Released 10-year research report highlighting the lasting impact of Saver Plus: more than $13.5m saved by 15,000 participants since 2004.
- Became a Foundation Partner of Australia’s first fintech hub, Stone and Chalk
- Acquired Shout for Good to enable online charity donations
- Launched $3 billion Trade Lending Pledge for Australian businesses targeting new markets
- Issued ANZ’s first green bond to support the transition to a lower-carbon economy
- Opened Paris branch to support French companies operating in the Asia/Pacific region
- Became first Australian bank to offer contactless acceptance for UnionPay International Cards
- Continued super-regional expansion in India with opening of new branch in Gurgaon
- Launched Equal Future campaign and measures to support women’s financial equality
- Established International Technology and Digital Advisory Panel
- Received Myanmar banking license approval
- Sold Esanda Dealer Finance portfolio to Macquarie
- MoneyMinded and Saver Plus recognised with Financial Literacy Australia Awards
- Launched new Internet Banking site
- Named 2015 CANSTAR Bank of the Year for First Home Buyers in Australia
- Named CANSTAR Best Agribusiness Bank in New Zealand
- Renewed Australian Open sponsorship with 5-year exclusive partnership.
- Became the Sydney Mardi Gras inaugural principal partner, following eight consecutive years of partnership and support for LGBTI. Rolled out GAYTMs in support of diversity.
- Launched BlueNotes, ANZ’s corporate newsroom.
- Recognised in the 2014 MoneySmart Week awards for the MoneyMinded education workshops and mentoring pilot program.
- Awarded Home Lender of the Year by Money Magazine.
- Awarded a Canne Lions award for GAYTM campaign.
- Signed MoUs with China Development Bank, Aurizon Holdings and Baosteel Corporation.
- Reached AUD$100 billion in transactions on mobile-to-mobile payment app, ANZ goMoney.
- Launched ANZ Grow app, Australia’s first digital wealth and banking app and first Grow Centre in Sydney.
- Became the first Australian bank to open in the Shanghai Free Trade Zone.
- Partnered with the Australian Government to expand mobile banking and financial literacy in the Solomon Islands.
- Became one of the first international banks to be awarded Myanmar banking licence.
- Became the first bank worldwide to introduce EMV secure ‘Tap & PIN’ ATM technology to reduce skimming.
- Scored a six star green star sustainability rating for ANZ Tower, Sydney
- Named 2013 Bank of the Year in Asia Pacific, Australia, Laos and Cambodia by The Banker magazine
- Awarded the 2013 CANSTAR Best Value Australia Agribusiness Award for the fourth consecutive year
- Named Business Bank of the Year by Money magazine
- Established new branch in Hangzhou, the capital and the largest city of Zhejiang Province in Eastern China
- Pledged AUD1 billion to support small business start-ups in Australia
- Reached one million registered customers on ANZ goMoney
- Launched ANZ goMoney mobile banking app in the Pacific
- Ranked the most sustainable bank globally in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the sixth time in seven years
- Extended our global brand campaign, sponsoring the 2013 Shanghai Rolex Masters as part of a five-year Diamond Partnership
- Won the ‘Community’ award at the MoneySmart Week Awards in Australia
- Received approval from The People's Bank of China to act as a market maker for AUD-CNY direct trading on the China Foreign Exchange Trading System.
- Received Retail Renminbi (RMB) license from the China Banking Regulatory Commission, becoming the first Australian bank to receive this licence in China
- Opened a branch office in Labuan International Business & Financial Centre in Malaysia, for institutional and corporate customers
- Awarded Bank of the Year and Home Lender of the Year in Australia by Money Magazine
- Launched Banking on Australia, a five-year AU$1.5 billion program that includes branch transformation and greater focus on improving the customer experience
- Brought together the ANZ and The National Bank brands in New Zealand and completed a major program move to a single technology platform.
- Ranked the most sustainable bank globally in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth time in six years
- Moneyminded – ANZ’s flagship adult financial education program – rolled out in India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Solomon Islands and Timor Leste
- Received approval to open a representative office in Myanmar.
Received approval to be a member of the Shanghai Futures Exchange, becoming the second foreign bank in China authorised to trade gold futures Launched first global ANZ brand campaign Commenced banking operations in India with the opening of first ANZ branch in Mumbai Signed strategic cooperation agreement with China Eximbank Received CANSTAR CANNEX award for delivering ‘best value’ to agribusiness customers three years in a row Opened new operations hub in Chengdu, China Named Employer of Choice for Women by the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency (EOWA) Opened dedicated regional business centre in central New South Wales.
- Opened dedicated Regional Business Centre in Bendigo, Victoria
- Achieved leading global bank ranking in Dow Jones Sustainability Index for fourth year in a row
- Increased investment in China’s Bank of Tianjin and Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank
- Received foreign bank licence in-principle approval in India
- Launched GoMoney mobile banking app
- Announced intention to establish an operations centre in Chengdu to support growth in China
- Launched new Chinese brand name and tagline in Taiwan, to be progressively rolled our across Greater China subject to regulatory approvals
- ANZ’s locally incorporated bank commenced operation in China
- Received CANSTAR CANNEX award for delivering best value to small business customers
- OnePath™ replaces ING as the name and brand for ANZ’s specialist funds management and life insurance businesses in Australia and New Zealand
- Opened new sub-branch in ZhongGuanCun, Beijing
- Completed acquisition of the Royal Bank of Scotland retail, wealth, private banking and commercial businesses in Indonesia, Singapore, and Hong Kong
- Opened new main branch and head office in Shanghai
- Expanded wealth management services in Japan through new sub-branch in Nagoya
- Received approval to establish Chongqing branch in Western China
- Received licence allowing ANZ to operate as a full bank in Singapore
- Launched ANZ Signature Priority Banking in Hong Kong
- Received the CANSTAR CANNEX* Innovation Excellence Award for joint initiative with the University of Sydney and Visa to deliver a student identification (ID) card that doubles as a Visa reloadable prepaid card
- Receives preparatory approval for local incorporation in China from the China Banking Regulatory Commission
- Received CANSTAR CANNEX award for delivering ‘best value’ to agribusiness customers
- Completed acquisition of the Landmark Financial Services loan and deposit books from AWB Group
- Opened new sub-branch in XinTianDi, Shanghai.
- Opened new operations hub in Manila, the Philippines.
- Achieved leading global bank ranking in Dow Jones Sustainability Index for third year in a row
- Completed the sale of our Custodian Services business in Australia and New Zealand to J.P. Morgan
- Completed acquisition of Royal Bank of Scotland Group business in The Philippines and Vietnam
- Opened tenth branch in Vietnam, in Ho Chi Minh City
- Opened our first rural bank in western China making ANZ the first Australian bank, and one of the first international banks, to enter China’s rural market
- Opened new Beijing branch office in China Central Place (CCP) in Chaoyang District
- Completed acquisition of ING Group’s 51% shareholding in the ANZ-ING wealth management, life insurance and advice joint ventures in Australia and New Zealand
- Launched our new global brand and tagline - ‘We live in your world’
- Officially opened new global headquarters in Melbourne’s Docklands precinct
- Officially opened new flagship branch and Papua New Guinea headquarters in Port Moresby’s Harbour City precinct
- Opened the third ANZ branch in China, in Guangzhou
- Awarded “Socially Responsible Bank of the Year” by Money magazine and CANSTAR CANNEX
- Received CANSTAR CANNEX Innovation Excellence Awards for two of its latest market leading products, the ANZ Online Investment Account and SmartyPig
- Opened City Central branch in Adelaide CBD in South Australia’s most energy-efficient building
- Esanda Finance Corporation Limited (Esanda), ANZ’s specialist asset finance business, transitioned from a wholly owned subsidiary to a Division of ANZ
- Named an Employer of Choice for Women by the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency (EOWA) for seventh consecutive year.
- Received licence for incorporation in Vietnam
- Launched mobile phone banking and banking for iPhone
- Launched ANZ Transactive, a web-based cash management platform for institutional, corporate and business banking clients
- Achieved leading global bank ranking in Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the second year in a row
- Opens new regional hub office in Hong Kong for business expansion throughout Asia
- Obtained trading membership from the Shanghai Gold Exchange, making it one of only four foreign banks permitted to trade gold in the China market
- Launched ANZ Tower in the central business district of Jakarta, Indonesia, including a flagship branch that provides a full range of services to customers.
- Appointed Mike Smith as Chief Executive Officer
- Achieved leading global bank ranking in Dow Jones Sustainability Index
- Finalised acquisition of E*TRADE Australia
- Completes investment in Malaysia's AMMB Holdings Berhad, China's Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank, Vietnam's Saigon Securities Incorporation and ANZ Vientiane Commercial Bank, Laos.
- Completed 20% investment in China's Tianjin City Commercial Bank
- Achieves Top 3 ranking on Corporate Responsibility Index.
- Launched strategic alliance with Sacombank, Vietnam
- Opens representative office in Noumea, New Caledonia.
- Announced agreement with Royal Group to establish joint venture bank in Cambodia.
- Acquired National Bank of New Zealand from Lloyds TSB
- Formalised cooperation agreement with Shanghai Rural Credit Cooperatives Union
- Entered credit card joint venture with Metrobank, Philippines
- Released Australia's first survey of adult financial literacy.
- Formed joint venture with ING Group for funds management and life insurance business in Australia and New Zealand
- One millionth customer registers for ANZ Internet Banking in Australia
- Acquired Bank of Hawaii operations in Fiji, Vanuatu and Papua New Guinea.
- Acquired 75% of Bank of Kiribati
- ANZ Timor Leste opens.
- Sold Grindlays businesses in the Middle East and South Asia, and associated Grindlays Private Banking business to Standard Chartered
- Granted local currency (Renminbi) licence from the People's Bank of China.
- ANZ Internet Banking launched
- Announced strategic alliance with E*Trade Australia for online share trading service
- Purchased Amerika Samoa Bank.
- Acquired stake in PT Panin Bank, Indonesia.
- ANZ Phone Banking launched
- Official opening of Beijing branch, China
- Bank of Western Samoa changes its name to ANZ Bank (Samoa).
- www.anz.com launched
- Opened second Vietnamese branch at Ho Chi Minh City.
- Opened a commercial banking branch in Manila, Philippines, the first Australian and New Zealand bank to do so.
- Joint venture established with PT Panin Bank, Indonesia
- Opened a branch in Hanoi and a representative office in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Opened a branch in Shanghai and a representative office in Guangzhou, China
- Started operations in Tonga.
- Acquired 75 per cent of Bank of Western Samoa
- Opened representative office in the Philippines.
- Acquired National Mutual Royal Bank Limited
- Acquired Lloyds' operations in Papua New Guinea
- Acquired Bank of New Zealand's operations in Fiji
- Acquired Town and Country Building Society in Western Australia.
- Purchased PostBank from New Zealand Government.
- Opened branch in Rarotonga, Cook Islands
- Opened branch office in Paris, France.
- Acquired Barclays' operations in Fiji and Vanuatu
- Received full commercial banking licence and opens branch in Frankfurt, Germany
- Announced ANZ Singapore Limited
- Opened representative office in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Purchased Grindlays Bank.
- Singapore and New York representative offices upgraded to branch status.
- Acquired the Bank of Adelaide.
- ANZ incorporated in Australia (transfer from UK).
- NZ (PNG) established.
- Opened representative office in Malaysia.
- In what was then the largest merger in Australian banking history, ANZ Bank merged with the English, Scottish and Australian Bank Limited to form the present organisation, Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited
- Started operations in Vanuatu.
- Established representative office in Tokyo, Japan.
- Opened office in New York, USA.
- Started operations in Honiara, Solomon Islands.
- The Bank of Australasia merged with the Union Bank of Australia to form ANZ Bank.
- The English, Scottish and Australian Bank established.
- The Union Bank of Australia was established.
- ANZ began in London when The Bank of Australasia was established under Royal charter.